What's been catching my eye?


Sunday 21 February 2010

"...I am delighted to let you know..."

I recently blogged about the trials and tribulations of applying for PR grad schemes. It was a draining process and I’m pretty sure I was working on some of the mammoth application forms for a good three weeks, as attacking them in one sitting seemed impossible.

Up until last week I hadn’t heard a peep from any of them, which to be honest is what I’d expected. So when I saw the name of one of the agencies pop up in my inbox, I did get rather excited...for approximately 0.5 seconds until I opened the email and realised it was a rejection. Apparently there were over 800 applications for this particular scheme, which softened the blow a tad.

A few days later appears an email from another of the agencies I applied for. As the application form said I would be informed by the 12th of Feb I knew this was going to be another thanks but no thanks. The email started with the obligatory “...we received an overwhelming number of applications...” but as I continued to scan realised I’d spotted the word “delighted.” As I hastily re-read I realised the hours of work had actually paid off - I’ve been shortlisted for an assessment day! (Cue big smiles all round) I then realise it’s only a week away in London...gulp. Short notice, but extremely exciting.

I’ve had to fork out on expensive travel , and I’ll be kipping on a friend’s floor, but I know whatever happens it will be worth it. A day working alongside industry leaders is nothing to be sniffed at. Apparently the day is designed to be “lots of fun” and they’ve even invited us for drinks afterwards. I like the sound of this.

I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will go well, good luck.

    To put this into perspective, research for the CIPR a few years ago indicated 82% of PR practitioners work in-house, and only 18% in consultancy or freelance roles.

    Most grad schemes and most graduates aim for the consultancy sector, but it's not the only way to work in PR (nor is it best for everyone). But give it a go and see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! All the experience I have gained so far has been in the consultancy side of things so I have a leaning towards that. But I'm definitely open minded. As you say, I'm giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete